Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reading the Punnett Squares - Class Response

Punnett Squares -

          On Tuesday, we discussed how to make, solve, read, and understand the great science/math method of Punnett Squares. Unfortunately, I misunderstood some concepts while catching up with other assignments. These four boxes make it easier to determine the probabilities of a future off-spring's traits. Basically, the baby's chances of having a particular trait is identified by evidence of the mother's and father's alleles.

          At first, I needed help on how to read a Punnett Square. My opinion was that it made no sense. I didn't get the idea of alleles and that it is a type of gene which is transferred to future generations of the family. Additionally, the system which contained phenotypes, genotypes, dominant alleles, recessive alleles, homozygous, heterozygous, and the genetic crosses confused me. Overall, interpreting the Punnett Squares and finding out possible trait probabilities gave me a hard time.
          On the other hand, Science class has been really interesting and fun. It is good to know how scientists use math to figure out things such as the probabilities of a baby's traits in Punnett Squares. Additionally, I believe that Gregor Mendel was a great man and he explained many significant things to us about what happened when he cross pollinated plants.
          Gregor Mendel
          Today, since school has been closed due to the inclement weather, I decided to understand the concepts of Punnett Squares. It clicked to me that dominant alleles dominate over recessive alleles. I pictured in my head that dominant alleles are like big bullies and recessive alleles are like shy little girls. Big bullies scare little girls. Dominant alleles are shown as capital letters and recessive alleles are shown as lowercase letters. Homozygous is when there are two dominant alleles as one trait or two recessive alleles as one trait. Heterozygous is when there is a dominant and recessive allele as one trait. The most difficult part of reviewing  was learning about the Genotype and Phenotype, but eventually I got the hang of it. Phenotype is the physical appearance as you see it and Genotype is the allele combination.



          To sum up, I understand the basic concepts of Punnett Squares. I'm hoping I'll be prepared for science class on Thursday!






      

No comments:

Post a Comment